Bishop Haywood
Served: 1908 - 1931

Bishop Haywood was a multi-talented person and a man of vision. He was a pastor, evangelist, teacher, an architect, and a prolific writer of tracts, journals, books and songs. He began Christ Temple's first monthly publication, "The Voice in the Wilderness" in 1910. Many of his songs can be found today in the Pentecostal Bridegroom songbook. Bishop Haywood traveled extensively, both in the United States and in foreign countries, preaching and teaching the Word of God. He owned his own printing shop and printed all of Christ Temple's literature and many tracts. When he could not travel, the tracts traveled for him. Many of his writings were translated into various foreign languages. They were sent to Russia. China, Japan, India, Africa and Israel.

Among his many accomplishments, he purchased a building to be used as a saints' home for those who were homeless. This home served as a home for elderly saints, and for visiting ministers and saints during their stay in Indianapolis.

Bishop Haywood remained the pastor of Christ Temple until his death in April 1931. His memory and his work continue to live on. His evangelistic effects are international. He was one of the charter members and first presiding bishops of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World. His published works continue to be in demand and his prophetic songs continue to comfort and encourage the soul. Bishop Haywood was also an artist.

Legacy: Bishop Garfield Thomas Haywood was a born leader who presided with tact and dignity. He was an inspired man of God, not only a Godly force in this church and city, but throughout the nation and the world.



Elder Tobin
Served: 1931 - 1947

Tobin became the second pastor of Christ Temple and pastored for sixteen years until April 1947. Elder Tobin was known as an outstanding man of God that loved the elderly and was kind-hearted and gentle." In 1934, Elder Tobin was elected to the office of Secretary-Treasurer of the P.A.W. and served for over 12 years. His excellent stewardship kept the organization on financially stable ground.

Legacy: During his pastorate, the physical building was enlarged and five lots next to the church were purchased. The church's seating capacity was expanded to accommodate two thousand. Elder Tobin completed the architectural plans that Bishop Haywood began, including the addition of the baptismal pool and dressing rooms, choir stand, deacons' room, and the pastor's study. Under Elder Tobin's leadership, all church indebtedness was cleared.



Elder Golder
Served: 1948 - 1953

Elder Morris E. Golder became the third permanent pastor of Christ Temple. He served from 1948 until April 1953. During his pastorate, modern glass doors were installed at each entrance, fluorescent lights replaced the light fixtures in the main auditorium, the Kilgen pipe organ was added to the main auditorium, and the business office and Pastor's study were remodeled. An eighty-acre farm was purchased for use of the saints and for providing food for the meals during conventions.

Christ Temple has its first radio broadcast under his leadership. Also during this administration, the Christ Temple Youth Choir was organized.

Legacy: Elder Golder was one of the original "Four Horsemen", whose ministry was loved by all. He was affectionately named, "The Prince of Preachers", for his unique way of preaching the word of God. Elder Golder (later Bishop Golder) wrote the following books, The History of Christ Temple Apostolic Faith Assembly, The Life and Works of Bishop G. T. Haywood, and the History of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc.

Bishop Lee
Served: 1954 - 1969

On June 27, 1954, Elder Willie Lee was installed and became the fourth pastor of Christ Temple. During Bishop Lee's administration, the church farm was sold and the proceeds were used to begin the construction of a new building that is now known as the "Bishop Willie Lee Fellowship Hall." This annex originally consisted of a saints' home on the second floor, Sunday school rooms, a large hall and dining area, a kitchen, a steam table room, a pastry room, cafeteria and two kitchens. A publication office was also constructed so that the church could print its own materials, giving rise to the publishing of The Christ Temple Messenger. Other publications soon followed.

In October 1957, the Pentecostal Churches of the Apostolic Faith (P.C.A.F.) was established. Thereafter, Bishop Lee was elected the Assistant Presiding Bishop of the P.C.A.F., succeeding to the Senior Bishop after the death of Bishop S.N. Hancock.

Prior to 1958, Christ Temple had no visible cornerstone. During the annual convention that year a special cornerstone laying ceremony was held.

Bishop Lee adamantly followed the teachings of the Apostles' doctrine and the traditions of the previous church founders. Bishop Lee pastored for approximately sixteen years until his death in 1969.

Legacy: Bishop Lee added the "Bishop Willie Lee Fellowship Hall" to Christ Temple. This annex originally consisted of a saints' home on the second floor, Sunday school rooms, a large hall and dining area, a kitchen, a steam table room, a pastry room, cafeteria and two kitchens. He was also responsible for the creation of the publication department. Strong faith, humility, wisdom and compassion for the saints characterized his leadership.



Bishop Tyson
Served: 1970 - 1976

In September 1970, Elder James E. Tyson was installed as the fifth pastor of Christ Temple. He pastored for five years until March 1976. During his pastorate the church aggressively pursued an evangelistic ministry. During Elder Tyson's leadership, the building was completely remodeled, including both the exterior and inside the main sanctuary. Bishop Tyson was also responsible for the church returning to the tradition of old tent revivals as in the days of Bishop Haywood. Church membership grew abundantly.

Legacy: Under his administration, the building underwent major renovation. The red brick exterior was replaced with the glass and stone exterior that remains to this day. An educational wing was added to the church annex and the main sanctuary was renovated and enlarged. Also under his leadership, Christ Temple renewed its membership with the P.A.W. in 1970.



Bishop Moore
Served: 1977 - 1988

In September 1977, the sixth pastor, Bishop Benjamin T. Moore, was installed. Bishop Moore directed an extensive reorganization of the Christ Temple Publications Department, which included marketing and distribution of material written by Bishop Haywood, the Christ Temple Messenger, and a weekly Sunday bulletin, both of which were distributed across the country; initiated the motion with the City of Indianapolis to rename Fall Creek Parkway to Bishop G. T. Haywood Memorial Way; constructed new offices and space for the Christ Temple Bookstore; enhanced the sound and media ministries; instituted the portrait gallery of past Pastors of Christ Temple; and purchased a full city block for the development of G. T. Haywood Square. Bishop Moore pastored until his death in December 1988.

Legacy: Under his leadership, one of Bishop Haywood's unfulfilled dreams, the Christ Temple Christian Academy, was established, and still operates today as a PTQ Level 3 educational facility.



Bishop Johnson
Served: 1990 - 2001

In 1990, District Elder Byron V. Johnson became the seventh pastor of Christ Temple. He pastored Christ Temple until 2001. In 1993, he was consecrated to the office of Suffragan Bishop, and in 2001 to the office of Bishop. His technique of preaching and teaching was that of blessing, encouraging and strengthening the people of God. Johnson was also an instructor at Aenon Bible Collage in Indianapolis.

Under his pastorate, the tradition of Christ Temple missions was carried on. Bishop Johnson's active involvement with missions had led him to The Philippines, Israel, Africa and Russia. Under his leadership, Christ Temple built three churches in Nigeria and other parts of Africa. Observing Bishop Haywood's directorate: Let us stand together and push the battle to the gate in order that the Gospel of the Kingdom might be preached in all the world for a witness. The Lord blessed Bishop Johnson to pick up that mantle.

Legacy: Bishop Johnson put great effort into distending the word of God to the remote parts of the world.



Bishop Finnell
Served: 2002 - Present

On the first Sunday in September, 2002, Bishop Charles M. Finnell preached his first sermon as pastor of Christ Temple. Bishop Finnell has been a guiding inspiration to the Christ Temple members since that day. To find out more about our sitting pastor go back to the main website and click on the "Our Pastor" link.

Legacy: Bishop Finnell is a kind hearted Godly man who seeks the will of God. The legacy of Bishop Finnell is still being defined. It can only be said that he has been a blessing to the church, and we look forward to going forth as he leads us under the banner of righteousness.